Saturday, September 20, 2014

Mo*Bee's Blog #6: Mo*Bee & Some Ants Out and About



                                                  
www.mobeesclassfinder.com

Mo*Bee's Blog #6: Mo*Bee & Some Ants Out and About 


My job is to connect people who want to learn something new with the people who can teach them.  I'll do my best when I find someone teaching something interesting to let you know about that.  While I'm out trying to find those people, if I run across something I think you'll like, I plan to tell you about that too.



For the last few weeks while out and about telling people about Mo*Bee's, I have come across some really cool places that I thought you might like to know about.  I’ll try to keep it short and just tell you enough, so you will know if it's a place you might also want to visit.  (These are not in any particular order.)

First up, it was time to have some fun. In order to thank Candice, Kelly and Beth for all the hard work they've been putting into Mo*Bee's, I decided to take them all out to dinner.  Afterwards, we would have a big sleepover including everyone's dogs and then spend the next day on the lake.

The dinner was at La Strada's in Lake Lure.  If you like Italian food, you are in luck.  Good eats here. We had great service and a fantastic view of the mountains and Lake Lure.


Beth & Candice


Kelly, Beth & Candice








Nothing says Thank You like a gift from Lowe's
In the morning, it was off to Lake Hartwell. Candice chose to go off with her friends instead. I know what you're thinking.  Who would choose just sitting around with their friends doing nothing over a day at the lake?  But, let's be honest people.  With a show of hands, how many of you would choose to spend the day trapped on a pontoon with your mother?  I will say this though; I bet I had a lot more fun with my friends that day than she had with her friends. I'm just saying…



We need to get Beth to start teaching rock diving classes.



The temperature that day was 84 the water temperature was 83. Now that's a great day at the lake.

Okay, back to "work".
My next stop to promote Mo*Bee’s was the North Carolina AppleFestival in Hendersonville, North Carolina. I met a lot of really fascinating people and saw some really cool things.  Let me tell you about just a few.

Met some of the volunteers who work for Charlie's Angels animal rescue.




Summer (Dog) and Bella (cat)

Just two of the pets in need of adoption from Charlie's Angels.





I love animal rescues.  I do volunteer work myself at Foothills HumaneSociety.  Here are some of there pets that need homes.


Wynette
Xalbodor
 Here's something I learned about Charlie's Angels that day though that made them really stand out.  They are not only a nonprofit organization; they are run 100% with volunteers. They have no paid staff at all. If you have ever volunteered at a shelter, you know a little bit about how much hard work has to be done every single day.  And for people to come together and commit to doing this day in and day out without being paid, that's incredible.  This once again shows the level of compassion that we have in our community.  I encourage you to visit their website. Then I ask you to do one thing to help them out.  Maybe you can adopt an animal or perhaps foster one.  Maybe you can commit to stop by one day and help out with that day's work or it could be just an hour.  Maybe you could make a donation to help with some of the feeding or medical expenses they incur.  Maybe you can just look at their website and find one animal that needs adopting and help find that animal a home by sharing it on your social media sites.  If every person who reads this just did one thing, together that's a lot of things and we can help this rescue to help out our furry friends.


Lizzie
Shyla

Couple more pets from Charlie's Angels







Next up, I met Debbie and John Wilson.  They are the owners of the Hungry Drover located in Travelers Rest, South Carolina.

 Photo
                                                     
I actually met this couple while they were leaving the festival and walking back to their car.  These are some super nice people.  We got to talking and they told me about the restaurant they own.  In addition, they display and sale handmade crafts and artwork from local artists. They also hold different types of art classes.

Inside The Hungry Drover
I haven't been able to get down to their place of business yet.  But, I have every intention of heading down there not only to check out the artwork but also because John gave me a card for a special offer in their restaurant. I looked up the Hungry Drover on the Internet and from the pictures of the food and their great reviews; I am excited to let you know more about their place.  As soon as I can I will let you know about the different classes they offer as well.  If you get there before me, I would love to hear about it.

A few days before my day of loafing at the Apple Festival, I had to run some errands.  As luck would have it, during my shopping trip for local produce at the Landrum tailgate market, I met a man named Buddy Williams. Come to find out Mr. Williams teaches people how to keep bees and tend the honey they produce. He was very interesting to talk to and taught me what needed to be done in order to not only keep a hive alive during the winter but how to ensure they thrive during the cold weather.  If you are interested in learning about bees, I would recommend that you contact Mr. Williams and see if you can get into one of his classes. Unfortunately, the only way I know to reach him is at the market on Saturday mornings.


And to wrap it up for today, I'll tell you about my adventure to downtown Greenville, South Carolina with my daughter Candice and my good friend Peggy.  There are so many great attractions downtown, but will only hit on a few of them here.

 

The Beaded Frog has gifts, jewelry, and beading supplies! They host girls night out, office parties, group outings, kids birthdays, and best of all, they had classes. So if you're thinking about starting a new hobby or maybe even making and selling your own jewelry, then The Beaded Frog is a store you're going to want to check out. They had a huge inventory.  The lady who was working that day was very upbeat, very helpful and a pleasure to talk to. They've been at that location for quite a while, so I would love to hear back from people who have taken some of their classes.



We went over to Patrick Collard's Studios where we were treated to some of his exceptional photography.  He has some amazing shots of Venice that were so crisp it made you feel like you could just step into them. I swear I could smell cappuccino while I was in there.

We then decided to stop by The Art Cellar. From street level you're not really sure what you're about to get into.  I say that because the entrance to their gallery is just a small stairway with a few pieces of art to look at on the way down, but wow what a huge surprise when you reach the bottom of those stairs and step in to the gallery.



 The lady I spoke with that day said they had over 50 artist represented.  I love this gallery and wish I could have spent a lot more time there.  It's the type of gallery where anyone could find something they were enamored with because there are so many different types of art represented.  While we were down there, my friend Peggy found the work of one artist who donates the money from her artwork to the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).  What's not to love there?  When you buy this art, you not only get a great piece of artwork you also get to help out our little furry friends.  In my opinion, The Art Cellar is a must-see while visiting downtown Greenville.

And last, but certainly not least, because cooking and eating is something I thoroughly enjoy. I had to stop in at The Cook's Station .




Whether you are a beginner or a world class chef you will thoroughly enjoy shopping at The Cook's Station. They have room after room of gadgets not only to just make cooking easier but to make it a lot more fun. The staff was super friendly and helpful, thanks again Dave for taking the time to answer all my questions. Oh yeah and before I forget... They have classes! Wait, it just keeps getting better.  They also have wine tastings.  You will not be disappointed whether online or in person at the Cook's Station!

Well, that’s all I have time to tell you about today.  I look forward to heading up to Asheville to see what gems I can find to tell you about.

Until next time, seriously go check these places out you'll be happy you did.

Dee

a.k.a.  Mo*Bee



Just a few clicks away!




No comments:

Post a Comment